top of page

Teamwork and efficiency denote New Albany and Union County’s Governmental agencies. The City of New Albany, managed by a mayor/alderman form of government, is committed to providing area residents with professionally managed and cost effective services.

The New Albany Police Dept. is staffed with about 20 full-time employees and is equipped with 8 patrol cars. Fire and emergency services are staffed by 14 full-time employees and 16 volunteers, with 4 pumper trucks and one rescue van. The city has a fire rating of 6. A city planning commission oversees zoning regulations.

Union County is governed by its Board of Supervisors. The Union County Sheriff’s Office employs approximately 30 full-time staff members, including 8 patrolmen.

Union County is served by 10 well trained and equipped volunteer fire departments.

The area is well-served with an adequate water supply, and ample electricity is provided to the county via four distribution systems that are members of the Tennessee Valley Authority. Natural gas is distributed in the county by New Albany Gas System and Pontotoc Gas System .

BellSouth and TDS Telecom are the primary telecommunications providers in Union County with ISDN, T-1 lines, and other advanced telecommunications services available.



City Millage:

General Fund: 1.50
Solid Waste Capital: 1.00
Street Fund: 3.30
Fire Protection: 1.38
911 Fund: .70

City of New Albany Separate School Tax:

District Maintenance: 49.53
Three Mill: 3.00
2001 School Bond: 11.00
School Collections Fee: 0.7

You have until February 1st to pay taxes without a penalty. A 1% a month penalty is applied thereafter.

On the last Monday in August, all property on which taxes have not been paid will be sold at the land sale held at the Union County Courthouse.

Taxes can be mailed to:

City Tax Collector
PO Box 56
New Albany, MS 38652
Post marked by FEB. 1 will be accepted.

Please call City Hall at 662-534-1010 for more information.




New Albany is governed by a 5 member board. The aldermen are elected from 4 wards with one alderman serving as an at-large member.


For additional information, please call City Hall at 662-534-1010.

bottom of page